Recent scientific studies have shown a causal link between diet and acne. Experts recommend including more raw fruits and vegetables, limiting refined sugars and red meat, and including whole grains in a healthy diet in order to reduce the frequency and severity of acne outbreaks. But supplementing a balanced diet with vitamins and minerals can help skin combat acne directly. Taking vitamins for acne makes sense; after all, vitamins are essential for the proper functioning of the organs. The skin, as the body’s largest organ, needs vitamins and minerals to stay healthy and acne free.
While all vitamins and minerals are necessary for good health, there are some acne vitamins that are especially important in maintaining a clear complexion; the best vitamins for acne sufferers are listed below.
Essential in the regeneration of skin cells, Vitamin A is one of the most effective vitamins to prevent acne flare-ups. A natural antioxidant, it helps purify the skin and remove toxins that can cause acne. Vitamin A supplements also include beta-Carotene, a necessary organic compound that promotes good skin and bone health. Vitamin A is so important to healthy skin that a deficiency can actually cause acne in otherwise healthy individuals.
Vitamin B Complex
Due to its role in reducing stress levels, experts recommend the use of the B vitamins to cure acne break-outs. Many acne flare-ups are due to high stress levels, so ensuring adequate levels of Vitamin B complex in the body can alleviate the acute symptoms of acne and help to prevent further blemishes from forming.
• Niacin is instrumental in the breakdown and absorption of food into the body. Because niacin is involved in metabolism, it affects the hormonal levels of the body, making it one of the most important acne vitamins.
• Pantothenic acid is also essential for proper glandular function, since it is involved in the production of adrenaline in the adrenal glands. This role links pantothenic acid directly to stress levels which can provoke or worsen acne in susceptible individuals.
• Thiamine’s antioxidant properties make it a valuable anti-acne supplement; it also works to improve circulation, which allows skin to repair itself more quickly. This allows blemishes to heal more rapidly and cleanly.
• Pyridoxine assists in the production of antibodies within the body. These antibodies are necessary to combat the p. acnes bacteria that causes acne outbreaks.
• Riboflavin deficiency can cause acne directly, so ensuring adequate intake of this important B vitamin is vital for healthy skin and hair.
Well known for its antioxidant properties, Vitamin C is also an antibacterial. Necessary for metabolism and cell regeneration, Vitamin C promotes physical health in a variety of ways. Vitamin C may be the single best vitamin to cure acne, since it helps the body shed toxins very efficiently while simultaneously promoting the growth of new skin cells. A deficiency of Vitamin C can cause scurvy, a serious illness with damaging effects to the skin, so it’s essential that acne sufferers include at least the minimum daily requirement of Vitamin C in their dietary regimen.
Another antioxidant, Vitamin E is instrumental in healing and repair of damaged skin tissue. Vitamin E can be applied topically to blemishes to speed the healing process, but best results are achieved by oral supplements. Vitamin E can block free radicals and prevent damage to the skin. Since it is a fat-soluble antioxidant, Vitamin E can travel directly to the sebum-producing glands and attack the source of acne directly, making it especially valuable among the acne vitamins.
• Zinc regulates oil gland production and serves as an antioxidant, purifying and healing skin tissue and promoting quick healing of blemishes. Since it also strengthens the immune system, zinc allows your body to fight off outbreaks and leaves your skin healthier and clearer.
• Chromium helps maintain healthy skin tone and fights infections in the body. Since it’s difficult to ingest enough chromium in the daily diet, supplements may be the only way to ensure adequate chromium levels.
The best way to fight acne is through a natural diet of healthy foods. Vitamin and mineral supplements can provide invaluable assistance by ensuring adequate levels of needed nutrients for acne sufferers, allowing them to achieve a clear complexion and healthier skin.